13 May 2007

Intersection

The "official" Tori week here on the blog is long over. I had a few folks leave comments on some of the posts so that's appreciated! I know there are more Tori fans out there though. I'm still thoroughly enjoying "American Doll Posse." Anybody have any opinions about the album? Now I'm just eagerly awaiting the release of some US tour dates!

On another note this past weekend I was really thinking of how the merging of popular culture and social media--particularly in this day-and-age--is really an interesting thing. Specifically as it pertains to the entertainment & art worlds.

Sunday I was kickin' it old school, watching Margaret Cho's "Revolution." For some reason I was jonesin' for some Margaret. Similar to what I mentioned in an earlier post, you are either a fan of Margaret's or you're not. There's really no in-between. Quite honestly I don't know how there could be -- she is vile, vulgar, and absolutely hilarious! You get turned on by her sort of humor or you don't; I can almost guarantee the majority of conservative folks do not.

Her sets usually contain references of self-reflection, how our country thinks people should look and act, and, of course, politics. Now, I have a friend who thinks celebrities & artists shouldn't use their fame or notoriety to push their personal beliefs. I respect that, and can understand that point-of-view. I must disagree, however, particularly when it comes to "artists": I believe that the role of an artist is to interpret and comment on what's going on in the world around them. If not for anything than just "waking people up" and making them aware of what's going on in the world around them.

Humor aside, Margaret is a prime example of celebrities utilizing social media to convey their platform. Margaret has an extremely active MySpace page, and a blog on her official website.

2 comments:

V said...

Social Citizen! I'm baaaacckk!!

:)

IZEA said...

SUH-WEET! It's about time!